While Jeremy Clarkson continues to make fun of everything electric cars, the age of silent whirring cars have crept up on us unannounced.
Respected auto journal, Ward's Auto issued their top ten engine list and it includes the drive motor from the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf and these two oversized washing machine propulsion system sat uncomfortably amongst turbocharged, supercharged, turbodiesel and otherwise acronym-laden internal combustion engines for the annual honours.
to see the full list follow the jump
- 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
- 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
- 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
- 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
- 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
- 1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
- 5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
- 80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
- 2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
- 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)