SEPANG DRAG BATTLE 2010
SHEIKH SALIMEE IS SEPANG DRAG KING
Malaysia's top drag racer Sheikh Mohd Salimee Mohd Fowzi was denied a stylish conclusion to his 2010 Sepang Drag Battle campaign his Nissan Skyline machine lost in the final run at the season-ender Round 5 at Sepang Circuit on Saturday night.
Tan Wai Loong, who recorded an impressive 10.650 seconds in his Mitsubishi Evo to win his semi-final battle, simply cruised in a casual 17.992 seconds to complete the 400-meter dash after Sheikh's car encountered mechanical problems at the start in the deciding run.
It was a disappointing end for Sheikh, who came to the final round in search of a hattrick after winning the third and fourth round. Fortunately, the defeat did not come affect the final standings as Sheikh was crowned as the 2010 champion for Class A, which is the open class.
After five rounds, Sheikh garnered 13 points to take the overall championship with Tan Chun Li, who was scoreless in the final round, taking second place with eight championship points. Suzaimi Ahmad, who came in fourth in Round 5, was third overall with six points.
It was a battle to the wire for Class B with Mohd Ainul Asri Mohd Aini taking victory for Round 5, five championship points and the overall championship; edging out Mohd Amirullah Mohd Ali, who was leading the championship by a single points before the commencement of the final round.
As both Ainul and Amirullah sweep aside their rivals, the leading duo met in the final run, which saw Ainul's Proton Satria finishing the 400-meter dash infront of SIC's main straight in 10.997 seconds. Amirullah clocked 11.544 seconds in his Mazda machine.
Mohd Maziz Abdullah defended his Class C crown; but was upstaged in the final round as he lost his semi-final battle against Abdul Jalil Abdul Rahman. However, it did not turn out as a night of glory for Jalil as well when he edged out in the final; losing to Ikmy Adzwan Jamuri.
Maziz, however, re-discovered his form to win third place and two championship points to take his total tally for the season to 12 points. Ahmad Firdaus Azman, who lost in the quarterfinals at the night, was second overall with 11 points and Ikmy taking third overall with 6 points.
Class F for V-Tec engine street legal machines up to 2000cc saw Mohd Hanapi Ismail and Mohd Iqram Ismail Tajinder finishing the season with 13 points. The championship crown, however, was presented to Hanapi after he won the final round; coincidentally beating Iqram, who came in second last Saturday.
For the non V-Tec street legal machines up to 2000cc under Class FX, the overall title was already won by Sharulnizam Mohd Sain even before the start of Round 5. He again showed his prowess in his Nissan Sentra as he romped to his third victory of the season; taking his final tally to 17 championship points.
Season 2011 would feature another five rounds with the opening round scheduled on March 19 next year. Round 2 has been slotted for May 21; Round 3 on July 16; Round 4 on September 10 and the final round scheduled on October 1 next year.
SEPANG DRAG BATTLE 2010
RESULTS FOR ROUND 5
(open category – turbo,supercharged & NOS allowed)
1.Tan Wai Loong (Mitsubishi Evo) 5 pts
2.Sheikh Mohd Salimee (Nissan Skyline) 03 pts
3. Isharunizam Ismaon (Proton Satria) 02
4. Suzaimi Ahmad (Daihatsu Mirage) 01
(two-wheel drive with no limit on engine capacity and only either turbo, supercharged or NOS allowed)
1.Mohd Ainul Azri (Proton Satria) 05 pts
2. Mohd Amirullah Mohd Ali (Mazda) 03
3. Khairul Anwar Ahmad (Proton Satria) 02
4. Mohd Fadhil Othman (Proton Satria) 01
(Naturally Aspirated engines up to 2000cc and NOS not allowed)
1. Ikmy Adzwan Jamuri (Honda Civic) 05 pts
2. Abdul Jalil Abdul Rahman (Honda Civic) 03
3.Mohd Maziz Abdullah (Honda EK) 02
4. Gam Tiam Leng (Honda Civic) 01
(Turbo engines Street Legal Machines)
- Cancelled -
CLASS FX (V-TEC)
(V-Tech Street Legal Machines up to 2000cc)
1. Mohd Hanapi Ismail (Honda Civic) 05 pts
2. Mohd Iqram Ismail Tajinder (Honda) 03 pts
3. Mohd Iqbal Ismail Tajinder (Honda) 02
4. Nur Faizun Nasri (Honda Civic) 01
CLASS F (NON V-TEC)
(Non V-Tech Street Legal Machines up to 2000cc)
1. Shahrulnizam Mohd Sain (Nissan) 05 pts
2. Mohd Redzwan Abdul Basir (Proton Satria) 03
3. Kalaichelvan Govindapillai (Proton Satria) 02
4. Mezan Akram (Proton Satria) 01
FINAL POINT STANDINGS AFTER FIVE ROUNDS
THE TOP FIVE OF CLASS A
1.Sheikh Mohd Salimee (Nissan Skyline) 13 pts
2. Tan Chun Li (Mitsubishi Evo 9) 08 pts
3. Suzaini Ahmad (Daihatsu Mirage) 06
4. Ahmad Firdaus Azman (Mitsubishi Evo) 05
5. Mohd Zaidi Amzah (Proton Wira) 05
THE TOP FIVE OF CLASS B
1. Mohd Ainul Azri (Proton Satria) 17 pts
2.Mohd Amirullah Mohd Ali (Mazda) 16
3. Mohd Fadhil Othman (Proton Satria) 04
4. Mohd Syukri Mohd Nor (Proton Satria) 04
5. Shahril Azuar Mustafa (Nissan Silvia) 03
THE TOP FIVE OF CLASS C
1. Mohd Maziz Abdullah (Honda) 12 pts
2.Ahmad Firdaus Azman (Honda Civic) 11
3. Ikmy Adzwan Jamuri (Honda Civic) 06
4. Nurfaizun Nasri (Honda Civic) 06
5. Aloysius Wee Chin Kwang (Honda CRX) 05
THE TOP FIVE OF CLASS F (V-TECH ENGINES)
1. Mohd Hanapi Ismail (Honda Civic) 13 pts
2. Mohd Iqram Ismail Tajinder (Honda CRX) 13
3. Nur Faizun Nasri (Honda Civic) 08
4.Mohd Iqbal Ismail Tajinder (Proton Satria) 05
5. Ahmad Firdaus Azman (Honda Civic) 04
THE TOP FIVE OF CLASS FX NON V-TECH
1.Sharulnizam Mohd Sain (Nissan Sentra) 17 pts
2. Kalaichelvan Govinapillai (Satria) 08
3. Azri Abdullah Safian (Satria) 06
4. Mohd Asri Saad (Satria) 05
5. Mohd Redwan Abdul Basir (Satria) 04